Z Legacy: Alerts

How to get a retirement visa in the Philippines if you’re over 35

If you’re over 35, a refundable bank deposit of just $20,000 – or, in some cases even less – buys you residency in the Philippines.

If you’re over 50 and have a pension income of at least $800 a month, a bank deposit of as little as $10,000 will suffice.

Even “ailing retirees,” those who have a non-contagious, pre-existing medical condition, which means they need close medical supervision and extra care, are catered for on[...] Click here to continue reading

How to open a bank account in Australia over the phone

These days it’s very difficult to find a bank that will open accounts for non-resident foreigners, and even do so remotely.

If you cannot show up in person to open an account, it is sometimes still possible to do so through an intermediary who knows exactly who to contact, in which part of the bank.

That’s why we devote so much time to cultivating the right contacts around the world[...] Click here to continue reading

An interesting loophole for Chilean residency

I’ve been in Chile now again for the past few weeks, and I’m really glad to be back. There’s lots of exciting stuff going on here, but today I want to tell you about a new way of obtaining residency in Chile that I’ve recently discovered.

This is hot off the presses as I’ve just come back from a meeting with one of my attorneys, and I’m really intrigued by this, simply because of[...] Click here to continue reading

Gold and Banking in Hong Kong

We’ve reported several times before that Hong Kong is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy gold. But the bottom line is that it’s getting a bit more difficult to do so.

At ................... Bank, for example,they will now only sell a maximum of HK$120,000 (about US$15,400) worth ofgold coins to non-account holders. This is less than 12 ounces of gold.

Now, if you open an account at ................... Bank, no limit applies. And, the good news is that[...] Click here to continue reading

If you have a foreign bank account, you need to know this

Here’s something that almost nobody knows about. And it’s an important topic.

If you’re a US taxpayer, you know that the Foreign Bank Account Report or FBAR is one of the numerous forms from a stack of compliance documents that the US government demands.

We’ve talked at length about it previously, not least in the June issue of SMC where we went through the form step by step. But now, filing of an[...] Click here to continue reading